Start a new topic
Answered

How to setup alerting for webservers in an active/passive setup"

I have two webservers in an active/passive setup. In eG, how do i configure to get alerted only if both web servers go down?

Best Answer

For any active/passive setup, we recommend that you do the following things

• Configure both the webservers for monitoring
  • Configure the website hosted on the webservers to be monitored using an external agent (i.e.. Not by the agents installed locally on the webservers)
  • Configure minor priority for alerts from individual servers, critical priority for the alert associated to the website.

This configuration will ensure that you get minor alerts when one server goes down, but critical when both webservers go down and website unavailable.

Answer

For any active/passive setup, we recommend that you do the following things

• Configure both the webservers for monitoring
  • Configure the website hosted on the webservers to be monitored using an external agent (i.e.. Not by the agents installed locally on the webservers)
  • Configure minor priority for alerts from individual servers, critical priority for the alert associated to the website.

This configuration will ensure that you get minor alerts when one server goes down, but critical when both webservers go down and website unavailable.

In my case, a service from each webserver is a GSLB site in Netscaler. How can get alerts when certain portion of sites go down?

You can use metric aggregation to customize alerting in any way you want.. Using this feature, you can group objects and raise alerts for the group rather than the individual server/user etc. For example, you can raise a minor alert when more than 25% sites go down, critical alert when more than 50% site go down etc.

Metric aggregation is a very powerful capability you can apply upon many of the components to make it much more useful - like in dashboards, topology etc., and for getting alerted when more than XX% servers/users have issues rather alerts for individual servers/users.

For more information, check out https://www.eginnovations.com/documentation/Admin/Metric-Aggregation.htm

or reach to us for a discussion. 

Login to post a comment