Start a new topic
Answered

Remote agent connection issue

I have installed a remote agent on a Windows box with domain administrator privileges. But this remote agent is unable to connect to and monitor another system in the same network. What could be the problem and how do I resolve it?

Best Answer

Remote agents use the eGRemote command to connect to and collect information from a system in the domain. For this command to work, the target system (i.e., the system to be monitored by the remote agent) should consist of the default share named ADMIN $. If this share does not exist on a target, then the remote agent will not be able to connect to that system. To check whether ADMIN$ pre-exists, do the following:

1. Login to the target system and go to the command prompt.
2. Type the command net share; this command will list all the default and user-configured shares on the system
3. If ADMIN$ is not listed, it is a definite indicator that the system does not consist of the ADMIN$ share.

The way forward is to manually configure the ADMIN$ share on the target system. To do so, issue the command net share ADMIN$ from the command prompt of the system. This will create the ADMIN$ share.

1 Comment

Answer

Remote agents use the eGRemote command to connect to and collect information from a system in the domain. For this command to work, the target system (i.e., the system to be monitored by the remote agent) should consist of the default share named ADMIN $. If this share does not exist on a target, then the remote agent will not be able to connect to that system. To check whether ADMIN$ pre-exists, do the following:

1. Login to the target system and go to the command prompt.
2. Type the command net share; this command will list all the default and user-configured shares on the system
3. If ADMIN$ is not listed, it is a definite indicator that the system does not consist of the ADMIN$ share.

The way forward is to manually configure the ADMIN$ share on the target system. To do so, issue the command net share ADMIN$ from the command prompt of the system. This will create the ADMIN$ share.

Login to post a comment